Monday, July 23, 2012

Katy Flatland Century - Results

You think you do everything right in preparation the days before and the morning of only to be left asking what did I do wrong? Yesterdays results was disappointing to say the least but, I am not all that upset.

I'm fairly sure all my preparations were O'k, I hydrated plenty the days before the ride, I ate high carb and high protein foods and then I hydrated more. I did no hard rides the week of the ride and limited them to under 20 miles a ride at easy paces to just keep my muscles loose. So why did I cramp out at 47 miles?

I think I have the answer to that question. The first 30 miles of the ride were in the nice cool morning, we were keeping a pace of 24 to 28 mph for nearly all of that first 30 mile's. Way out of my training zone, I normally ride 17-20 mph. In a group though it is easy to go faster as you can draft (like in NASCAR) but you still are exerting energy. At about 35 miles I decided that I wasn't going to keep up with that group as I was getting pretty tired. What I didn't realize until last night/this morning was that the first 30 miles I drank no water or Gatorade! BIG MISTAKE! The weather was just so nice that I never felt thirsty, but hey, lesson learned.

Anyways, from 35 miles to 47 miles I was getting some light cramps in my calf's and that little muscle that runs down your shin bone so I started drinking like a mad man. It was too late though, by 47 miles my left leg ceased to function and my right leg I could barely get off the pedal to stop. On top of that, the last 4-5 miles of that struggle the road was some crappy paved cobblestone that really beat the crap out of my entire body. My arms, chest, and back hurt from all the shaking and rattling.

I called the SAG wagon (support vehicle) to come get me and they took me to pit stop 7 were I was supposed to catch another SAG back to the finish line, but I just couldn't do that. I waited for about 30 minutes drinking some pickle juice and eating a bunch of other salty snacks and hydrating to make a final decision. I decided that from stop 7 to the finish line was 12 miles and I didn't want to cross the finish line in the back of a truck, so I got back on the bike to cross it under my own power.

That last 12 felt like hell. My arms and chest were so sore from that cobblestone it was a chore to hold the handlebars and my legs were sore from all the cramping. I kept a slow pace of 15-18 mph and with 3 stops (in 12 miles...lol) I finally made it back to the start only to find there was no finish line!!!

Anyways, I ended up riding 58 miles with total ride time being 3hrs 20mins.  I did set some new pace records for myself and 58 miles is 7 miles further than my previous longest distance.

Oh - Yesterday I told you I weighed in at 210.8 lbs. After the race I weighed in at 206.6 lbs and this morning at 205.2 lbs. Lost water = cramps....grrrr

New personal records:
Fastest 1 Mile: 2min 39sec
Fastest 10 Miles: 28min 26sec

Here's a pic of me afterwards. My face is all squished up because it hurts from the sun (it did get really hot) and I can hardly keep my eyes open from the sun, wind and my contacts.  I look like roadkill..lol


MAP UPDATE


10 comments:

  1. You did great! I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important for you to remember that 47 miles is something that must people couldn't do nor will ever do. You are an amazing inspiration to me and others! Ran three miles today in the 90 degree heat, towards the end I was being a wuss. I thought about you biking the flatlands and I picked up the pace and finished. Thank you! I love you boy. To say I'm proud is an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! My total was 58 miles though..ha ha.. I don't think I could run 3 miles though, I may have to try it some time though. Good luck with your running! Love to you and give that family hugs and kisses for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stamina is amazing.I say this is a great effort. Sounds like you have a handle on what you need to do next time. Do you wear goggles? and sunscreen? I sound like I'm your mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Stamina is definitely a lot better than it was 80 days ago. I did wear sunscreen on my knee's but forgot about the rest of my body. I don't like it on my face as once I start sweating it ends up in my eye's. I don't wear goggle's (I think swimmer's wear those...ha ha..) but I could use some good cycling sunglasses, just haven't got around to getting some yet. Love you! Tell Tom I say "HI!" - Don

      Delete
  5. OMG, you are amazing! I don't even know what to say. So proud of you. Keep on riding brother in law! Love you. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no no, those cupcakes of yours are amazing! Love to you and the family!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations!!! What an awesome accomplishment. You should be proud. We are proud of you!

    ReplyDelete