Monday, July 23, 2012

Katy Flatland Century - Results

You think you do everything right in preparation the days before and the morning of only to be left asking what did I do wrong? Yesterdays results was disappointing to say the least but, I am not all that upset.

I'm fairly sure all my preparations were O'k, I hydrated plenty the days before the ride, I ate high carb and high protein foods and then I hydrated more. I did no hard rides the week of the ride and limited them to under 20 miles a ride at easy paces to just keep my muscles loose. So why did I cramp out at 47 miles?

I think I have the answer to that question. The first 30 miles of the ride were in the nice cool morning, we were keeping a pace of 24 to 28 mph for nearly all of that first 30 mile's. Way out of my training zone, I normally ride 17-20 mph. In a group though it is easy to go faster as you can draft (like in NASCAR) but you still are exerting energy. At about 35 miles I decided that I wasn't going to keep up with that group as I was getting pretty tired. What I didn't realize until last night/this morning was that the first 30 miles I drank no water or Gatorade! BIG MISTAKE! The weather was just so nice that I never felt thirsty, but hey, lesson learned.

Anyways, from 35 miles to 47 miles I was getting some light cramps in my calf's and that little muscle that runs down your shin bone so I started drinking like a mad man. It was too late though, by 47 miles my left leg ceased to function and my right leg I could barely get off the pedal to stop. On top of that, the last 4-5 miles of that struggle the road was some crappy paved cobblestone that really beat the crap out of my entire body. My arms, chest, and back hurt from all the shaking and rattling.

I called the SAG wagon (support vehicle) to come get me and they took me to pit stop 7 were I was supposed to catch another SAG back to the finish line, but I just couldn't do that. I waited for about 30 minutes drinking some pickle juice and eating a bunch of other salty snacks and hydrating to make a final decision. I decided that from stop 7 to the finish line was 12 miles and I didn't want to cross the finish line in the back of a truck, so I got back on the bike to cross it under my own power.

That last 12 felt like hell. My arms and chest were so sore from that cobblestone it was a chore to hold the handlebars and my legs were sore from all the cramping. I kept a slow pace of 15-18 mph and with 3 stops (in 12 I finally made it back to the start only to find there was no finish line!!!

Anyways, I ended up riding 58 miles with total ride time being 3hrs 20mins.  I did set some new pace records for myself and 58 miles is 7 miles further than my previous longest distance.

Oh - Yesterday I told you I weighed in at 210.8 lbs. After the race I weighed in at 206.6 lbs and this morning at 205.2 lbs. Lost water = cramps....grrrr

New personal records:
Fastest 1 Mile: 2min 39sec
Fastest 10 Miles: 28min 26sec

Here's a pic of me afterwards. My face is all squished up because it hurts from the sun (it did get really hot) and I can hardly keep my eyes open from the sun, wind and my contacts.  I look like