Sunday, June 10, 2012

Fitness and Cycling

I have discovered that cycling and fitness go hand in hand. After yesterday's ride, my second on the new road bike, I woke up this morning with a stiff neck down to between the shoulder blades. When cycling, just holding your head up is a chore for an unseasoned rider. 10 miles into yesterday's ride, my left hand started to go numb and I could feel a little bit of strain in my neck. I just changed positions every few minutes after until I got home. It wasn't until this morning I felt the damage.

My wife is into fitness and copied off a section of one of her books that covers7 core exercises for cyclists and then an additional 5 exercises for post-ride. She had told me about them before but I really didn't take it to heart then; I AM NOW!

Additionally, today we visited the half-price book store and I found an old copy of "The Lance Armstrong Performance Program: Seven Weeks to the Perfect Ride".

It not only covers exercises for the cyclist, but includes training cycles developed by his coach Chris Carmichael and Lance. The training cycles I have found online in various places, but many of the terms are usually abbreviated and the methods not clear. This book will definitely help me understand more of the training "lingo".

If anyone has an abundance of money they just feel like getting rid of and want to buy me something nice, I really need a cadence and heart monitor computer for my road bike. I have a basic Cateye CC-MC100-W Micro-Wireless I am using right now, but it does not keep cadence count or monitor heart rates. I really need a Cateye CC-TR300TW Triple Wireless Cadence and Heart Rate Bicycle Computer. Believe it or not I think the price is on the lower end of the spectrum, but Cateye products seem to be the most sought out by cyclists other than pro-cyclists. They can afford a bit more. I think I'm pretty much tapped on spending (I'm sure my wife thinks so too!).



I want to give a big shout out to my wife who just gave me an awesome massage as well. I think I'll be ready to ride tomorrow for sure. Also, a big shout to her for being supportive and letting me spend a small fortune on my new bikes and accessories. I love you and thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment